Google

Dear Daddy Bernie...Love Fisico


-War Of Words-

After Bernie's little "time's up for Ralf and Fisi" comment, on his official website, Fisico has hit back! Well normally people just ignore Mr. E but in the latest case, Fisi must have felt the need to defend himself:

Dear Bernie,
I read with interest your interview in Auto Moto und Sport, faithfully published by your own web site. You are the father of Formula One and like a father you have talked about your children, including me. I wanted to remind you dear daddy, I mean dear Bernie, that I am the one who won the first Grand Prix in Melbourne in 2005 with Renault and therefore I was the one who first discovered the R25 as a winning car. In the two seasons I spent alongside Alonso, in full agreement with the strategies of my Team, I have contributed to two constructor titles, taking home the fourth place in the drivers’championship, just like Massa this year. Given the circumstances I believe I could not do any better. In 2007 Renault promised me a championship winning car, but this has not been the case and for this I did not get demoralized! Next week, in fact, I will bring my enthusiasm and my experience to Force India, a young team with an “old heart” just like Giancarlo Fisichella who has still some talent to show!

Giancarlo Fisichella.

What's with the excusing? I must admit, it's a good read (well it has all gone quiet so to have something like this to pop up is great fun), entertainment wise that is. But if one is confident that his time is not up, why does he need to lash F1's supremo? Well here's to a hope of "war of words" between Mr. E and Fisi. I can't wait to hear what Bernie has to say...


-Schumi Can Return To Racing, Duh...-

The latest on the "We back Schumi To Return (Sorta)" happens to be former F1 champion Alan Jones. Just because of his times that topped the time sheets, a lot speculated that the Schum would return to F1 and while a lot of figures of this sport goes "he still can race!" Well we get it for freak sake. He's still good and fast. It would be nice if he comes back I have to admit but he has said repeatedly irrevocable is irrevocable. I wonder how many times Schumi would have to reiterate that his decision to retire is final...or will he come back? Got the itch again Schu?


-Be Nice Grub Or You're Toast!-

According to reports, Ferd was paid to only say nice things about McLaren, either that or he wouldn't be a free agent available to sign with anyone he wants and facing the courts. I guess after hearing his unusual acknowledgment of the team and Lew after the announcement that he's not with McLaren anymore, people start to speculate. And why wouldn't they? It was a sudden u-turn to what he has been blasting out during the second half of the season... Now it's a good change to see Alonso shut up and not blow bonkers outta his mouth by saying nada about the latest rumors surrounding him BUT RD on the other hand HASN'T learned that lesson by blasting Ferd's ego as bigger than Senna's. Dear God Ron, be nice!


-The (Too Darn Quiet) Driver's Market and Reports-

As of now, Kovy is still without a seat and BMW will have a shoot out of two drivers for the test seat that was vacated by Timo Glock (who was released early to test for Toyota in Jerez), Marko Asmer and Javier Villa. As for our favorite to talk about, Fernando Alonso, according to reports, his decision would be made early next week, keeping in mind that the hearing is in a few days. As for the rumor of his talks with RBR, Dietrich said they've got "four drivers under contract." And note the other rumor that Alonso had a seat fitting at Honda, they (Honda) denied it too. By the way heads of Williams AGAIN said "Nico is not for sale." Yeah we get it. Tell me when you ARE gonna sell him.


-The Dude Who Bagged Three Awards-

So it's been a week for Lew, first he bagged ALL three awards at the Autosport Awards. The first ever to have brought home all three: Rookie of the Year Award, the British Competition Driver and International Racing Driver Trophies. Then he impressed a lot with his driving on Top Gear. Even though his time of 1:44:7 didn't beat the Stig's 1:44:4, we still have to note that it was wet and his approach to the 2nd to last corner was spectacular, in the words of Andy Wilman (the show's executive producer) "the world is governed by the rules of physics, but he just seems to have his own set." Seems not like a fair circumstance? No problem, he vows to come back when it's dry and try again. I'll be waiting to see the times.

But just as some respect finally made it's way into me for him, it got slightly washed down the drain by his other vow:


"I am going to be fitter, stronger and more experienced, ready to take that next step up and be Champion. I have time on my side to win many titles. If I get the opportunity to break Michael's record then I will go for it. Michael was a phenomenal driver but for me, Ayrton Senna was the greatest ever. If I could get one World Championship that would be great; if I could three, the same number as Ayrton did, that would be a dream. But I want to be the best driver there has ever been."


Alright alright you wanna be great like the Schum and the driver whom you think is best, Senna. Fine but save it till you win it boy, you haven't. At least remember to be a tad bit realistic, Nick surely is with his 08 expectations...


-Ralf and Fisi's Force India Test-

People people, two of F1's over-30 veterans will be testing for that Force India seat that seems to be on fire right now. Ralf ended 3 years of crap with Toyota to find not a seat offer for next year. So now he's gunning after Force India. Downgrade. Fisi on the other hand, he is contracted by Renault till the end of this year but his faith next year there depends on Ferd's move. Poor Fisi, he is given the permission to explore his options...and he goes to Force India. Downgrade again.

So it poses the question, is Force India (in some veterans case) a transition phase to retirement? A place for their star to die? Apparently it seems like it. If Fisi or Ralf joins Force India, chances are, they will be out of the game pretty darn soon. If they are to retire, wouldn't they want to do it with a bit more dignity than you get there? Fisi still has a glimmer of hope with Renault but for how long?

Note: That makes SEVEN drivers after that seat: Ralf Schumacher, Giancarlo Fisichella, Christian Klien, Tonio Liuzzi, Franck Montagny, Giedo van der Garde and Roldan Rodriguez.


-Sour Grapes?-

In DC's latest column for ITV F1, may I say it wasn't what I was expecting to hear from him. Kazuki Nakajima messed up and his mechanics better have health insurance I get it but apparently cutting off his line after overtaking him also was a major contributing reason to his thinking that the rookie is not ready for F1. Although I do agree with the 'Finishing School' comment.


"I found myself running a heavy fuel-load on worn tyres as Kazuki Nakajima's Williams came through the field. Nakajima passed me on the outside into Turn One, which was fair enough, but there was no need for him to cut across the front of me afterwards. In fact we agree in drivers' briefings not to move across the front of somebody during braking because cars get airborne that way. Now I'm conscious that my words will be seen as the racing old boy getting overtaken by the new guy, but this sort of thing tends to happen less between more experienced drivers. Driving standards in GP2 (the F1 feeder series that Nakajima raced in for most of 2007) are generally pretty wild. But there should be a higher standard that some of these rookie drivers need to meet before they are allowed to race in F1. Nakajima later ran down some of his mechanics and I think they spent a night in hospital. I'm sure he was sorry, but when was the last time you saw Kimi, Lewis or Fernando run down his mechanics? My team-mate Mark Webber said recently, 'F1 is not a finishing school' and I totally agree."


Now don't get me wrong, I have respect for the veteran but that little whack on Nakajima I can't help but ponder on the fact that it sounded a bit like sour grapes. His reasoning sounds quite right, yes but it has a bit of a sour tone to it. What do you think?



0 comments: